The Gloucester Institute’s Emerging Leaders Program improves students’ core writing, speaking, and critical thinking skills. Unique learning and mentoring opportunities correspond to their interests and foster personal development. Students gain valuable insight into corporate, public, political, and nonprofit worlds through exposure to new ideas, fascinating places, and dynamic established leaders. Emerging Leader Program services are free to participants and there is no cost to apply.
2018 – 2019 Emerging Leaders Program Important Information
- Early applicants are given preferred consideration in this year’s Emerging Leaders Program.
- A select number of applicants will receive early acceptance into the 2018-2019 cohort.
- Early acceptance and selection into the Emerging Leaders Program will begin on August 1, 2018.
- The application deadline for the 2018-2019 – Emerging Leaders Program is September 7th, 2018.
PROFILE OF AN EMERGING LEADER
Emerging Leaders are highly motivated African-American and Latino undergraduates. These students possess undeniable leadership potential which is typically demonstrated in their moral character, extracurricular activities, and the respect earned from their peers, faculty, and community. Emerging Leaders have at least a 3.0 grade point average and must be rising sophomores, juniors, or seniors at a fully accredited college or university in Virginia.
AFTER THE PROGRAM
Students come away from the Emerging Leaders Program with knowledge and skills that are both relevant and beneficial to their career journey, and that add value to the scholarly community. As a result, the Emerging Leaders Program has helped to prepare students to pursue and compete at some of the nation’s top graduate school programs, which include the Masters program in economics at Georgetown University, the PhD program in psychology at UC Berkley, the Masters program in theology at Princeton University, and the MBA and MD programs in medicine at Harvard University.
Our students also gain employment at top businesses and firms such as Amerigroup, Verizon, Prudential Financial, PricewaterhouseCoopers, Marriott Corporate, the U.S. House of Representatives, and Teach for America.
NOTABLE MENTORS AND SPEAKERS HAVE INCLUDED:
– U.S. Congressman Bobby Scott
– Former U.S. Congressman J.C. Watts
– Chairman of Omniplex and President of the Virginia Chamber of Commerce Julien Patterson
– United States Federal Court of Appeals Judge Janice Rogers Brown
– Former Secretary of Education Rod Paige, Ph.D
– President of Verizon Virginia Robert Wolftz
– Editor of the Richmond Times-Dispatch Glenn Proctor
– CEO of Popeyes, Cheryl Bachelder
– Author Daniel Black, Perfect Peace and They Tell Me of a Home